Tuning Lever for a Beginner

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Fri Jan 19 06:43:04 MST 2007

As a few have commented, expensive does not necessarily mean better.
It's what works for you. Attached is a photo of my tuning gear. I carry three
levers, two of them goose neck. My preferred tuning lever is the small g/n.
I use this whenever there is clearance and the pins are not too tight. It
has a solid feel, the tip is a perfect fit and offers perfect
control.  The larger
g/n has a small tip (#1 ?) and is good for many Asian pianos.

The grand-daddy in the middle is a stationary Hale, I've had various extension
levers and have chosen this.  I don't change tips, I found it too
time consuming
and thread damaging. The long heads have a #2 & #4 tips, The medium head
has a #3, the short tip has a #2. Then there's the thin-walled #2 with adaptor
for pins in close proximity.  All at 5 degrees. I bent the goose
necks to equal the
stationary lever.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a little gem of a goose neck lever.
I have a collection of seven various levers sitting in a drawer (a
few collector's items).
Some of which are g/n levers which are terrible but sometimes one
comes along...

Jim C probably has a collection as well for you to sample. Go with his advice.
--

Regards,

Jon Page