mystery buzz

Tunebyear at aol.com Tunebyear at aol.com
Fri Jan 19 16:40:25 MST 2007

In a message dated 1/18/2007 11:23:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rnossaman at cox.net writes:

I'm  surprised you found a cracked one. I have a can full of
the big plastic  buttons (maybe 50 or 60 of them), that I think
I acquired from an expired  technician's estate sale or auction
long enough ago that I don't really  remember. I use them when
I glue bridges to soundboards. Being plastic,  they aren't
prone to splitting when I crank the screw down, and I replace
them with the wooden buttons after the glue has dried and I
don't have  to apply enough screw pressure to risk breaking
them. I've used them over  and over for more than 25 years, and
haven't managed to break but a  couple.

Ron N

Ron,  et al

    I was surprised as well, more that they were  plastic.  They failed
alright 5 or 6 of them, maybe these were made from  the same stuff as the old
plastic elbows although they weren't of the  disintegrating variety just cracked
and I think the piano was from the 70's,  Maybe they were cranked down to much
at the factory ?

Tom Ayers
Highland NY