console vs. spinet

alan forsyth alan at forsythalan.wanadoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 20 18:31:45 MST 2007

I was always under the impression that a console piano referred only to the design of the cabinet which mimicked the style of the console organ i.e. it had a sliding fall (keyboard cover) and extended cheeks, and in fact has nothing to do with the size of the instrument. A spinet would refer to a drop action although a spinet on this side of the Atlantic is a completely different kettle of fish. Meanwhile, I don't actually know what defines a studio piano. In my neck of the woods most of my clients are students and they tend to have their pianos in their bedrooms these days so maybe there is a case for a new category of boudoir upright. BTW have you noticed that hardly anyone seems to make up their beds these days?

While you're having a whale of a time with all your puns, perhaps this should now be called a con'sole' piano

and a spinet should be defined as that where the action is below the waterline......or should be!

AF