My first tuning attempt

Mark Purney engineering at raktron.com
Sat Jan 20 20:03:40 MST 2007

Avery wrote:
> I really hate the MusicMatch Jukebox! It never seems to work!
The files should open with Windows Media Player.

> Mark, I "think" Jim would agree with me, but learn to tune using the
> temperament octave as your base and then work out from there! Then you
> can check 3rd's, 10th's progression, etc. The only time I start at A0
> is when I'm doing a pitch raise! And that's only with my SAT III. Of
> course, I was an aural tuner for 25+ yrs. before I started using an ETD!

I didn't get far enough in my training for that kind of tuning, yet. I
only had one 1.5 hour session, in which I only learned to tune unisons,
and that's all I was really supposed to be practicing. However, Tunelab
has a mode where it can listen to a few notes to determine the
inharmonicity, and it will automatically determine a tuning curve, and
calculate the exact frequency each note should be tuned to (I went with
the default model, which I believe was 6:3 and 4:2). With this
"automatic" mode, you can tune from the lowest note up to the highest,
or in any order you want.