My first tuning attempt

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 22 01:47:18 MST 2007

>From: Mark Purney <engineering at raktron.com>
>
>I appreciate all the feedback. I'll eventually be taught how to tune
>without a Pocket PC, but I'm just getting started. Friday was my first
>lesson and the first time I ever operated a tuning lever. I can't wait to
>find out what I'll be learning this week. :)

IMHO, to be able to do an aural tuning is essential for every piano tuner.
On the other hand, I tuned aurally for nearly 20 years and started to use
Verituner Pocket last month. And now I ask myself: how could I perform
without it for such a long time? The tunings are almost perfect and these
which are not are not less perfect because of the ETD but due to the quality
of the piano. On my first attempts I did a lot of aural checks. Then I gave
verituner the chance to prove its potential, without checks. Still perfect.
In the seldom case of beeing not satisfied with the tuning I try to improve
by ear, but I can´t make it better, showing me that´s the piano and not the
tuner what makes the tuning less satisfying. But the best effect is: even
after a concert tuning I am still relaxed. Usually, after 3 tunings a day I
was tired and glad to come home. Now I can do a fourth tuning without
problems. But it´s not time-saving. A Verituner tuning still takes me the
same time or even more.

Gregor