Preventing hearing loss

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Mon Jan 22 09:56:46 MST 2007

Hi Mark,

It sounds to me as if you are really *nailing* each note as you play it. It
is not a bad idea to use a "test blow" after one is happy with the pitch of
a note--but using brute force on every key stroke while tuning is (as you
already found out) painful to the ears. Learn to tune softly. I know Dr.
Coleman doesn't play super loud--and gets wonderful stability.

I used to be a "beater" but learned my lesson when an upright hammer
assembly came flying out of the piano at me (on a fairly new piano).

Diane Hoffstetter  dpno2nr at yahoo.com who is on this list also sells
inexpensive and adequate ear protection.