My first tuning attempt

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 22 11:24:25 MST 2007

David Anderson wrote:

"I guess the question I have for all you ETD users is this, and I
would deeply appreciate honesty here: where is your attention when
you tune a piano? Do you listen in a focused, calm, attentive,
relaxed way, giving your self to the world of sound? Or are you "on
automatic," and free to roam through your thoughts, dreams, and
schemes, putting the bulk of your attention on the stream of dialog
in your head? I believe it's an important question, and I hope I get
both honesty and collegiality in the replies, if any."

Well, as one firmly in the ETD camp - as well as an advocate for partnered
tuning, I'll go and stick my neck out...

Where I am right now, I treat the unison as a delicate white wine - to be
manipulated with a clean aural pallette.  Just as it's not best to taste
through the reds, the cognacs and such before trying to appreciate the
flavors of the white wines, I feel that the jangling of the rapidly beating
intervals dulls MY senses to be able to achieve a tone at the unison level
that I like to strive for.  I approach the octaves (doubles, triples...)
with the same "clean ear" to provide the proper framework for the finished
tuning.  (That's got to come first, in my book.)  So, no I'm not on auto
pilot, or visual controls only, more a medatative seeking of the "best"
blend of those unison strings.

Ron Koval
Chicagoland