Sunday ramblings

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Mon Jan 22 16:35:57 MST 2007

It can get discouraging trying to sell a DC system. But I stopped worrying
about it. I just cast the bread out on the water, and every once in awhile
something comes up to take the bait. DC offers a super nice magazine size
brochure that is really cheap in quantity. When I pitch a system to a church
I show them their tuning record with the humidity swings- usually at +/- 10
to cents every 6 months. I tell them the DC system does not keep the piano
from needing tuned, but it does keep it nicer between tunings and it keeps
it closer to pitch. This is critical in churches that have bands or where
the piano is played with an organ. Then I give them 1-2 brochures so they
have something to present to the board. It is an easy sell in situations
where they complain of the piano not staying in tune. Since I have extensive
history with the system and plenty of anecdotal evidence I can confidently
tell them that installing the complete system will make a huge difference in
stability.

I have never used the string cover. I get great results without it.

I do have problems with a very few customers where the piano gets unplugged.
It is frustrating. But most are very good at leaving them plugged in and
full of water.

Another upside to having a large number of installations that you regularly
tune is the automatic upsell. Once a year I get an extra $12-20 for changing
the pads and a bottle of treatment. Nobody bats an eye at the upsell. I
don't even have to ask permission. I just automatically change the pads in
the Fall and ask if they need more treatment. DC recommends changing them
twice a year but I find once a year in the Fall is more than adequate. I did
a set of pads w/treatment today and I'll do two tomorrow. Nice bonus.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802