A tenor bridge conversion

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Mon Jan 22 17:17:46 MST 2007

Hi André,

Nice to see you in print again.

>I have a question :
>
>You cut off the treble bridge in the tail. Did
>you do that because that last part of that
>treble bridge is so close to the rim?

No, the proximity of the bridge to the rim in
this case was actually OK (although the bass
bridge is too far in from the rim as usual), it
was the tension and stiffness of those large
diameter wires at such a low tension which is the
problem.

>I worked on a brand new Bechstein C and I
>noticed that those first treble notes (nr 21 to
>appr. nr 30 sounded weird and were difficult to
>voice correctly, as usual).

That's the problem (the first plain wire
tri-chord is note E32 in the modified piano),
they can't be voiced because the inharmonicity is
way up, the Z is way down and the % break is way
low. There is nothing that anybody could hope to
achieve with voicing needles. The original
scaling is an utter mess.

>I also wonder what kind of string thickness you
>use on that new bridge you built. Do they get
>thicker in size because they are shorter?

No they don't. On the standard piano they do but
it isn't the right way to go (from my
perspective). That is part of the problem. If the
tension is dropping because of the hockey stick
bridge, increasing the wire diameter will only
make a bad situation worse.

We actually use thinner core wire with a wrap to
achieve a balance between inharmonicity, Z and %
brk. But such a redesign can't be achieved
without also using a tenor bridge. There is a
golden rule when crossing from plain tri-chord
wire to wrap, there must be a reduction in
speaking length of between 10 to 14 % for the
first covered bi-chord note (tri-chord covers
also should be confined only to history books).
The ideal reduction in speaking length depends on
the choice of core and wire wrap diameters. You
can't re-configure the string sizes while keeping
the hockey-sick end. I realise that a number of
manufacturers do just that, but it doesn't work.

Here are some reduced size graphs of %brk, Z and
Inharmonicity for both the original scale and the
new tenor conversion.

Here is the original scale. % brk is the top
graph, Z the middle, and I(4) the lower two.

The tension drops to around 20% in the low bass
as well. We revise the diameter of both core wire
and the cover wrap in the bass also. Notice also
that the inharmonicity turns and heads upwards
before the long bridge crosses to the bass. This
is typically what happens with hockey stick ends.
Overall tension 16850 Kg.

And here is the tenor bridge conversion.

Overall tension 16785 Kg. While the tension per
unison has risen considerably, there are less
strings overall with the bi-chord tenor scale, so
the overall tension is reduced slightly.

To answer Calin Tantareanu, he asked about the
problem of strike point with the tenor. That's a
good question Calin, and yes it does create a
problem, because we've moved the bridge position
and it will result in a strike ratio which is
further out on the speaking length. Ideally, we
should also shift the agraffes to keep the strike
ratio correct, but in this case we'll reduce the
hammer position along the shank about 5% to help
offset the negative effect of the strike ratio
change. It won't be ideal, but it won't have
nearly as bad an effect as the original poor
scaling had on the tone. We'll be able to do some
voicing to help blend the tone. It won't be
perfect, but nevertheless the net result will be
a considerable overall improvement.

In the case of this piano, the client wasn't
prepared to spend enough to allow us to move the
agraffes as well. We're considering doing an S&S
B next year by moving the agraffe line to keep
the strike ratio correct. A model B with a tenor
and moved agraffes is the ultimate fix for that
piano.

The soundboard was stripped, sanded and
refinished. The original bridge had nothing
physically wrong with it. It was just a matter of
scaling.

Feel free to forward my posts to the Bechstein
Yahoogroup, but I'm not prepared to get into a
major debate defending the work we do.

Hope it all makes sense.

Ron O.
--