bass string markup

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Jan 23 07:00:59 MST 2007

Have you ever priced bass strings for a bass fiddle? $30-$50 each.

I don't do a break out on the string cost. I just charge a package
installation price that includes the string- $27.50, and that is for a
universal. I charge $22.50 to tie one.

Why shouldn't you charge as much mark up as a store? We are actually
justified in setting a higher margin. A retail store moves more product. The
more product moved the lower the margin that can be charged. Just look at
Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. Since we move less product our margins should be
higher. Figure the time you spend studying catalogs, placing orders, paying
invoices, making the appointment on the phone, travel time, plus the time
you spend making the sale. Then add in the time for bookkeeping, advertising
costs, vehicle costs, etc. etc.

Consider all the money you get tied up in an extensive inventory of repair
parts, and how slow the turnover rate is. A lot of it will never sell until
you are dead and gone, and then at a hugely discounted rate. So any profit
on what you do sell now has to cover your expenses for the dead inventory as
well.

Charging what we are worth is one of our biggest emotional struggles. I know
it is for me, because I always like to get the best deal I can when I buy
something. So I like to give my customers the same. But I also have a family
to feed.  I finally had to come to a place where I was willing to charge
more than I would want to pay. Otherwise I would have starved myself out of
the game years ago. I don't hold a gun to my customers and they keep calling
me back. In fact I got a $10 tip yesterday after raising my tuning fee $14
from the last time I had tuned for this customer (3 years previous).

The work we do for our customers is very discretionary spending for them.
It's a splurge. Its not a life sustaining service like bread on the table or
gas for the car. Don't feel bad about making a profit. If your standard of
living isn't at or above your average customer I'd say you probably aren't
charging enough.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272