Bechstein tied keyboard

Concert Piano Service concertpianoservice at planet.nl
Tue Jan 23 11:46:28 MST 2007

On 23-jan-2007, at 1:35, alan forsyth wrote:

> I'm having to regulate the action of a circa 1890 Bechstein grand
> which has that confounded tied keyboard and rocker capstans.
> Normally i've avoided having to remove the action stack but this
> time I will have to as the keys are so higgldy piggldy. I have a
> special tool to adjust the screws on the rockers; a ratchet offset
> screwdriver. What I want to know is, is there a special tool for
> disconnecting the stickers from the capstans. They are those
> stickers that tie the undercarriage of the whippen to the rocker
> capstan using centrepins. The bottom end of the sticker just clips
> onto the capstan. However the stickers are recessed so far back
> under the action stack that it is almost impossible to disconnect
> them without breaking something because they are usually very tight
> and there is so little room under there to manoeuvre.
>
> Another sleepless night ahead.
>
> AF

I hate those  rocker capstans, and the only way to get them separated
from the keys is to pull the whippen with one hand, and at he same
time depress the key with the other hand.
That'll do this lousy job fast for you.
It is much better to install new whippens and hammers and buy the
Renner bechstein kit so that you can continue with 'normal' capstans
and 'normal' whippens.
Less aggravation, and maybe a little longer life?

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek

Antoni van leeuwenhoekweg 15