A tenor bridge conversion

Calin Tantareanu calin1000 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 15:13:19 MST 2007

This is a very interesting explanation. I too believe that at least some of
the high-end manufacturers didn't choose to use hockey-stick bridges because
they wanted to save on a few extra bass strings.
Just look at a pre-war Bechstein piano and you'll see that the attention to
detail and workmanship is very good.
It is possible that it was thought as a way of better blending the scale
transition to bass strings, especially given the ideas regarding the way
bridges work, and where they should be placed, which existed at the time.
They might have also had reasons related to less developed string winding
techniques etc.

The ends of the bridges were never Bechstein's strong points in my opinion.
Most of their models have some weakness at the break, in the lowest bass or
highest treble. But when you play a decent old Bechstein (as opposed to
checking individual notes and stuff) you seldom are disturbed by problems at
the break. I'm not saying they aren't there, just that they are not obvious
during playing.

What Bechstein achieved better than most (in their older pianos) is the
crystalline singing quality of the tenor and treble range, which is rarely
surpassed. And don't forget that it's there where most of the music gets
played.

I hope that Ron Overs was able to retian that special Bechstein tone in his
rebuild. Please keep sending pictures and maybe a recording when the piano
is finished.

Calin Tantareanu
http://calin.haos.ro <http://calin.haos.ro/>

  _____