A tenor bridge conversion

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jan 23 21:36:56 MST 2007

The only rationale I can come up with for the short bass and
hockey stick tenor is that there is no rationale. These
features weren't apparently consciously and intentionally
designed by anyone who had a clue what they were doing, at
least technically, so it seems to me that they weren't
designed at all, but were just copied from others who
themselves didn't have a clue what they had done. Alfred
Savage didn't seem to me to have been too disoriented back in
1842 when he outlined the problem and it's cause, so why are
we still dealing with this same junk all these years and all
these advances in technical understanding later? Either I'm
not equipped to appreciate the hidden genius behind it, or
there have forever been and still are plenty of idiots making
piano design decisions out there. Having listened to the way
the existing junk sounded, I can't help but wonder why the
next manufacturing startup would copy the worst of it instead
of some of the fine design ideas of the past. Maybe it's a
cost consideration after all. No matter how badly we build
this thing, it can't sound any worse than what we copied to
produce it, and we don't need to hire engineers or learn
anything technical in order to compete in the marketplace.
It's a freebie, and we can concentrate our energies on sales
technique instead. Whereas, if we tried to build a good piano,
we'd be held responsible for making it sound like a good
piano, and the required talent, education, and care would be
expensive.

Or a manufacturer will hire competent engineers, and ignore
their suggestions, churning out even more junk with the
improved three position lid prop suggested by one of their
dealers' salesmen.

I don't know. I can't come up with any sane explanation for it
other than continued propagation of a deep and lasting
ignorance. Sound doesn't matter, as long as it's LOUD. Just
make sure the lid has the square footage to accommodate the
family photos. But then how can you experience the wonders of
the new lid prop sales point and still keep the pictures off
the floor?

It's a mystery,
Ron N