Hamburg Steinway, sostenuto - not

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Tue Jan 23 21:49:42 MST 2007

Boisselot & Sons of Marseille, 1844 Paris exposition, "... exhibited an
instrument in which it was possible to keep any selected group of
dampers - or one single damper - off their respective strings while the
rest remained in contact with theirs."
        Men, Women & Pianos

The Europeans didn't like it so maybe Steinway was the first to use the
device on their pianos. :-D
Tom Cole