Hamburg Steinway, sostenuto - not

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 23 22:38:34 MST 2007

Steinway was the first to Patent it. That's all I know. I did read Men, Women & Pianos. That tidbit was forgotten. Whether it was a Sostenuto as we know it or some other "lever" thingee" is impossible to say.  "Is a puzzlement" (King of Siam to Anna).!!!! There certainly was little, if any music written with that "effect" until around 1890-1900, as far as I've been able to ascertain. (Open for correction on that point, as well.<G>)
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I