A once-in-a lifetime-problem

Jim Johnson jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 26 09:00:20 MST 2007

I have run across this problem a number of times.  As soon as I see that a pedal appears to have become overadjusted, I check the pelican spring to see if it is cracking at the circular bend.  Even if I don't see a crack, I automatically replace the spring because it will only get worse again if you readjust it.  Eventually it will break clear through and the trapwork will fall to the floor of the piano.  The springs are cheap, they're easy to replace and then the problem is gone.  Don't even bother to readjust because you'll just be coming back in a few weeks to do it all over again.