aftertouch / hammer striking distance

Concert Piano Service concertpianoservice at planet.nl
Fri Jan 26 18:39:07 MST 2007

There was a time in my professional life where I had a complete break
through.
It was when I learned that a hammer travel distance gauge is not
necessary anymore.
At the time, I was working for Yamaha in the Benelux and they had
just gotten a brand new concert grand, the handmade CFIII-S.
This instrument was used as a demo and it travelled from here to
there etc.
A couple of times it was loaned to Yamaha France, and every time it
came back, I noticed that someone had changed the hammer striking
distance.
Later I found out from a Japanese Yamaha tech why and how it had been
changed and I will tell you about it here.
At the concert grand level, regulating the 'final' hammer striking
distance is one of the last procedures during regulating.
After a hammer change, the hammer striking distance is regulated in a
rough and so so way, only to make it workable during the regulation.
The final striking distance is the last procedure in regulation and
it is in immediate connection with after touch.
When a grand regulation has been completed, the hammer striking
distance is defined by the amount of after touch.
At the Yamaha Academy they teach that a perfect after touch is when
one depresses the key, one goes through the motion of let off and
drop, the key then rests on the front punching, and if one presses
lightly, there should be a slight hammer movement of 0,4 mm.
The 0,4 mm is a healthy average movement.
It ensures an 'extra' after let off and drop have taken place, so
that the jack can easily escape from under the knuckle, and
especially during ppp, always a danger zone.
The 0,4 mm is a very tiny distance, but it is enough and it also
creates a certain 'touch', a certain feeling.
It is safe and comfortable. However, because the movement is 'extra',
it is also a little bit of a waste. A waste in movement, a waste in
time, and thus a waste in energy, but, nevertheless, it is
comfortable and, when executed correctly, always gives the technician
a maximum of power.

Some pianists demand a smaller after touch or hardly any after touch
at all.
This is highly dangerous for soft play and it is only possible with a
perfect action with maximum anti friction treatment.
Some pianists demand a larger after touch, but that's stupid and
literally a total waste.
They usually don't know what they are talking about.

Of course the after touch is mainly defined by the elasticity and
hardness of the front punching but that is an other chapter, and an
old story I will not get into again. (for more info go into the
pianotech archives)

OOR

friendly greetings
from