Spring cord repair; partial job discovered

Lance Lafargue lafargue at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 27 09:47:22 MST 2007

Sounds like the temperature motivated you to work faster.  I think you will find these broken cords in "American" Yamahas just as much if from the same era.  Yamaha did not kiln dry the cotton cord to a special moisture content  ; )  It was usually brown cord and Yamaha paid me to replace several of the "American" ones.  They used to try to tell me it only happened in my area because of the wet, salty air and were reluctant to pay (this was mid-late 80's).  I am not a believer in the "Grey Market" differentiation.  If the customer was cheap, the tech could have just replaced the ones without the damper spring helping the hammer to return.  I have seen lots of shortcuts taken because that's all the customer would pay for.  I used to assume it was the tech until I saw enough to realize it is oftentimes a tech trying to do the best he can with low pay.  I give the benefit of the doubt more as I get older  ;  )

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS, LTD
LPIANOS.com
lafargue at bellsouth.net