aftertouch / hammer striking distance

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sat Jan 27 14:22:53 MST 2007

<< At the Yamaha Academy they teach that a perfect after touch is when

one depresses the key, one goes through the motion of let off and

drop, the key then rests on the front punching, and if one presses

lightly, there should be a slight hammer movement of 0,4 mm.

The 0,4 mm is a healthy average movement.

It ensures an 'extra' after let off and drop have taken place, so

that the jack can easily escape from under the knuckle, and

especially during ppp, always a danger zone.

The 0,4 mm is a very tiny distance, but it is enough and it also

creates a certain 'touch', a certain feeling.

It is safe and comfortable. However, because the movement is 'extra',

it is also a little bit of a waste. A waste in movement, a waste in

time, and thus a waste in energy, but, nevertheless, it is

comfortable and, when executed correctly, always gives the technician

a maximum of power. >>

Greetings,
    Ok, there are some things I am confused about here.  In the event that it
is a semantic confusion, I will list things in order, so that I can be
brought to my senses about this.

>>"the key then rests on the front punching, and if one presses

lightly, there should be a slight hammer movement of 0,4 mm."

      I can make the hammer move .4 mm with a wide variety of aftertouch
dimensions, so I can't understand how the above description applies to the amount
of aftertouch.  "pressing lightly" is a highly variable quantity.

<<"It ensures an 'extra' after let off and drop have taken place, so

that the jack can easily escape from under the knuckle, and

especially during ppp, always a danger zone."

        The jack escaping is where I cosider aftertouch to begin.  The key
contacting the punching (with some degree of force, to be considered later), is
where aftertouch ends.   I don't understand where the "extra" quality is,
since I consider the travel of the key after escapement to be the "extra" an
action needs in order to be dependable.

>>" A waste in movement, a waste in

time, and thus a waste in energy, but, nevertheless, it is

comfortable and, when executed correctly, always gives the technician

a maximum of power. "

      I don't understand how the various amounts of aftertouch change the
power, unless it is changing the blow distance.  All aftertouch is, at some
level, a waste.  There is no more impelling power to the hammer after escapement,
so it doesn't help with acoustic power.  Since the key return distance required
to reset is increased, the more aftertouch for a given set of let-off,
blow,and drop, the slower the repetition will be.

      I set aftertouch by using a shim (varies from .020" to .035") on top of
the punching, after blow and let-off are set.  I have a highly developed
sense of pressure in my fingers, (as, I think, all of us that regulate pianos do),
and after getting a consistant blow, let-off, and drop set on consistant
springs, that sense of touch is the final arbiter of what the keyboard feels like.
 I have learned to trust my sense of touch, and even though the actual
key-dip may vary by a small amount,(less than .006"), and the blow may be adjusted
slightly to accomodate geometry that would require a keydip greater or lesser
than this amount, the goal is to have the aftertouch consistant. Pianists have
unanimously agreed with me that a keyboard felt more consistant when I went
from a keydip to an aftertouch priority.
     It is more evident to pianists that the aftertouch varies by .006" than
when the keydip does by a like amount, since that .006" is 23% of the
aftertouch, but 1.6% of the keydip(assuming a .375 dip).  Under very slow key
movement, as in ppp, the finger forgets how far it has moved before it plays the note.
 Also consider that many notes are played by depressing a key from a position
already partially depressed, so the total amount of keydip is moot.

Ed Foote RPT