absolute pitch

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Sat Jan 27 14:29:25 MST 2007

Hi, Gregor.

I mentioned the cochlea shrinking because it happens to people in
general (though I don't know to what extent), but is not widely known
about. So it happens to tuners as well, but, like people in general,
most tuners don't have "perfect" pitch, so pitch recognition is not
tested, and changes are not noticed. I don't know whether there is a
direct relationship between the cochlea shrinking and the perceptual
acuity shrinking (sensorineural impairment). But since tuners don't use
an internal compass to measure pitch, cochlear shrinkage alone probably
wouldn't affect tuning much, if at all.

-Mark Schecter