Yamaha Aluminum Rail

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Sat Jan 27 16:29:09 MST 2007

If I'm understanding what you are saying, the hole is not stripped but rather you simply can't get the screw started in the hole.  I would do the following in this order:

1.  Look closely at the screw.  If the threads are damaged try running an appropriate size nut on it and perhaps you can clean up the threads. If the screw is slightly bent as you suspect I would not take a chance.  Get another screw.  I'm not certain of the size but it is probably fine thread metric.  Well stocked hardware stores often have those cute little "miscellaneous over priced thingy" drawers with metric screws.

2.  There is a good chance the rail hole is damaged.  If a new screw won't work either DO NOT try to force it.  Purchase an appropriate size thread tap and carefully re-tap the hole.  If this is done carefully the hole will probably be salvageable.  You may want to put a drop of light oil in the hole before tapping.  If the is beyond repair for that particular size screw you might try re-tapping it for the next size larger screw so long as it will fit through the flange hole.

3.  Absolute worst case scenario you could use a coarse thread sheet metal screw.  If the hole is sized correctly it will cut it's own threads and should be tight.  This is much more drastic so I would try re-tapping as described above before considering this.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

  Hello Technicians. I was working on a Yamaha console this morning, replacing three hammer butt flanges whose string spring catch had snapped. When I was replacing one of the hammer butt flanges into the aluminum rail, the original screw did not screw in easily. In fact, no matter how I tried to insert the screw, I could not get the hammer butt flange to tighten. The screw itself does seem to be slightly bent. Do have any experiences with his type of problems with aluminum rails?

  Thanks

  Jim Keaney