Stringing tool

PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com
Sat Jan 27 20:02:11 MST 2007

After much struggling throughout the years, I devised a tool that helps
infinitely in the replacing of a treble string. After devising this tool, I saw
that Pianotek Supply Company also has such a tool and bought one, but mine is
easier to work with because it's thinner and more versatile. I'm sure many
technicians have devised this type of tool out of necessity. It consists of two
very thin brass tubes, about 1/8" in diameter,connected to each other side by
 side either by epoxy, or duct tape, or whatever you can think of. After
making  the hitch pin bend in the middle of the wire, you simply insert  the ends
of the new wire into each tube, push the wire all the way through,  and the
tubes keep the wires nice and straight and compact as you feed  the gadget down
towards the hitch pin. In the upright, pull the action back  after removing
the action bolts. Clamp the bend onto the hitch pin, slowly  remove the gadget,
and you've saved yourself a nice headache.

Jesse Gitnik
NYC
Technician since 1980