aftertouch / hammer striking distance

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 27 23:01:56 MST 2007

At 02:38 PM 1/27/2007,Ed Foote wrote:

>Subject: Re: aftertouch / hammer striking distance
>Message: 4
>

>       I don't understand how the various amounts of aftertouch change the
>power, unless it is changing the blow distance.  All aftertouch is, at some
>level, a waste.  There is no more impelling power to the hammer
>after escapement,
>so it doesn't help with acoustic power.  Since the key return
>distance required
>to reset is increased, the more aftertouch for a given set of let-off,
>blow,and drop, the slower the repetition will be.

Ed,

To understand this, one must look beyond the strictly technological
aspects of the piano and look at the interrelationship between the
piano and the pianist's motion. The easiest way to conceive of this
is to look at aftertouch from the pianist's perspective - as the
follow-through to the keystroke. The same way as the follow-through
in a pitcher's motion happens after the ball has left his hand and
should therefore have no effect on the speed of the pitch - but we
all know that the follow through affects everything about the motion
before the ball leaves the hand and has a huge effect on the speed of
the pitch. A pianist who feels insufficient aftertouch might just
take something off the keystroke - since a shortened aftertouch
(follow through) may result in some discomfort on too powerful a
keystroke... Just one example of what might be happening...

Israel Stein