absolute pitch

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Sun Jan 28 01:12:00 MST 2007

Oh no, here's goes the absolute pitch debate again.  Nobody's perfect, or
"absolute"; we're human.  Take an ETD to her ten times in a row and ask
her to sing or hum an A or a C or any other note and see if she's right on
every time.  I'll bet she's not.  Some people come very very close, but
they, alas, do not have precision-calibrated signal generators or
frequency counters in their brain.  "Absolute pitch" and "perfect pitch"
should be banned from the English language and be replaced with "very good
pitch recognition."  The prof/cellist elsewhere in this thread is one in a
million.
	--David Nereson, RPT