Two Different Worlds ... was Kimball Consolette keytop problem

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 30 04:32:40 MST 2007

>From: "Alan R. Barnard"

>World Number 1= (Newish or rebuilt pianos, many grands) + (Fallboard names
>like Steinway, M&H, Bechstein, Baldwin, Yamaha, Kawaii ... ) + (New York,
>LA, San Fran, Chicago, ...)
>
>World Number 2 = (Old uprights, trash consoles and spinets, family
>"heirlooms", beat up Hamilton studios ...) + (Fallboard names like
>Gulbransen, Monarch, Howard, Lester, Bob's Piano Company ... ) + (Small
>towns 2 to 4  hours from any city even large enough to have piano dealers,
>small farms and ranches, Appalachia, Mississippi Delta, or in my case, the
>Missouri Ozarks ...)
>
>I am NOT complaining.

I live in World 1.5 (better known as Third World) and I love it: 50 %
newish/rebuild, 50 % old uprights, only a few grands. Definitely no spinets.
Brands are Schimmel, Seiler, Ibach, Grotian-Steinweg, Yamaha,
Kawai......Even the old uprights are very often of high or decent qualitiy,
but not always in a good condition. Fallboard names don´t matter, because
there are many names you won´t find in Pierce or Europiano Atlas. I was told
that exclusively in Berlin used to be much more than 100 manufacturers
around 1910. No idea if that´s true.

Most of my customers are families with kids playing the piano. Often they
don´t have a very high claim as to quality, which makes my work more easy
than in World 1. But I have to pay attention not to become lazy or to scamp.
In my hometown (280.000 inhabitants) there is World 1, too. But it get´s
serviced by techs/dealers who do that in the third generation. I am not sad
about that evidence of the existence of parallel worlds. But here too there
are some instruments which make my work hard: overdampers, particularly
English overdampers with straight (non crossed) strings from around 1900,
better known as English Desease (no offence to English collegues intended):
beautyful furniture, but awful instruments. In the meantime, I don´t service
these instruments anymore. The same with spinets as well. I think: if the
customer wants to play piano, he should buy a piano, not a toy or a piece of
furniture.

Gregor