Calculating Strike Point...

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Jan 30 13:19:44 MST 2007

Hi Joe

Glad you mentioned it.

I did want to bring the overall levels down quite a bit... especially in
the treble where it was really high.  But I'm looking at the bass tenor
transition and juggling inharmonicity against Z  and keeping an eye on
both Tension and breaking % T.  A nice Z curve with the kind of T and
%bT seems easy to get but it means a bit of a jump in inharmonicity at
the break.  At note 23 (first tenor) Inharmonicity starts off droping a
bit for a couple notes (24-26) and then rises nice and evenly... but at
22 it drops a good chunck from 23 and rises evenly as one progresses
down the scale.

So...whats to prefer ?... a nice even inharmonicity curve at the break
or a nice Z curve holding T and %T relatively steady ?

Cheers
RicB

    Ric said: "I think I'm going to end up with about a 4 mm length
    increase in the
    highest notes. Even with puresound its hard to get anything that looks
    even remotely reasonable with a shorter length on my spreadsheet.
    Inharmonicity is way off the chart as is... and its really uneven."

    Ric,
    Try not to get too hung up on the "inharmonicity"! IMO, that's where
    a lot of "scalers" go wrong. (Flack Suit tightly zipped!<G>) The
    fact that you are using Pure Sound complicates the issues, IMO.
    Because, it will provide a lower tension is opposite of what I would
    want in the upper treble. I seem to recall that this is a Bechstein.
    If that is the case, you have ZERO wiggle room between the hammers
    and the belly rail, even at the olde scale perameters. Caution
    should be the key, here.<G>
    Regards,

    Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
    Captain of the Tool Police