For you mathemeticians..

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jan 31 08:10:12 MST 2007

> Does anyone know any kind of
> formula, based on the string measurements and tension, that will tell
> what pitch to tune it to and how long it will take to settle down to the
> right pitch?
 >
> Jesse Gitnik

No.

My biggest problem with string replacement is getting
customers to leave the mute the heck ALONE. I used to get the
call a couple of weeks after the string replacement with the
complaint that one of the notes "slipped", and sounded awful.
It was, of course, because after I had showed them what I had
done and instructed them to leave the mute alone, and why,
they had subsequently "discovered" the mute in there, and
pulled it. Now I follow Kent Swafford's advice and install two
mutes. One visible sacrificial mute for them to know about,
admire, worry over, and snatch out as the mood randomly
strikes them, and a callback prevention stealth mute hidden
out of sight back under the lid or under the dampers on a
vertical and doing the real work. So next year, I get the
"Here, you accidentally left this in the piano last time" mute
handed to me (Oh yes, thank you), and can ferret out the
stealth mute and tune the new string with everything else
without penalty. It works.
Ron N