A chance to rant a bit.....

Leslie W Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 31 17:22:50 MST 2007

Can any of those who've been around awhile.....................  make some cogent comments about how much sooner a piano with radical seasonal pitch swings will have the pin block go bad than in a very stable environment?  I do a school district- getting to be a drag- but they recently have been turning all climate control off for nights, weekends, and of course holidays.  One school having had an infestation of mold last year, these pianos which were 5-15 cents sharp in the fall and now up to 40 cents flat.  NO I am not that bad a tuner!    But today I tuned one of those horrible things, a GH1, and the tuning pins were so loose I could move them easily with small finger- and this piano is no more than five years old.    I want to have some information for the school district in this regard.    OTOH, I tend to like a certain climate control unit which uses a cheap cool mist humidifier, and I know that if they put these things in a school, each will be stolen in short
 order.....    I've put the drying part on several pianos, but this year because they have gone to such ridiculous lengths to dry out the air, the bars seldom work. Instead, the pianos are impossibly flat.

  So, thoughts would be appreciated.
  les bartlett