Bass string scaling question

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Jun 1 11:34:26 MDT 2007

JD:

I appreciate your input.  Not to overstay my welcome on this topic but I do
have one key question in all this.  The goal in scaling (for me) is to
create overall balance and smooth transitions between sections.  Different
scalers use different criteria to achieve that, it would seem, and I have
tried a few different approaches.  One can concentrate on tension,
inharmonicity or what Robert's calls the "Z" factor or loudness, or some
combination with varying emphases.  On most existing scales you are forced
to compromise something as a smooth curve on all three is difficult, if not
impossible to achieve.  Of course, it may not even be desirable.   And there
is yet another issue which doesn't seem to be included in these calculations
which is to account for the balance between fundamental and upper partials
as you transition from trichord to bichord to monochord.  Where would your
emphasis be for creating seamless transitions and balance.  Anyone else
please feel free to offer your thoughts if you care to.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com