use for middle pedal on old upright

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Jun 1 12:18:29 MDT 2007

That sounds fascinating, Gene.  Hurry back to the client and take a
photograph for us!

I have realised recently that I ought to take more piano photgraphs, both to
record oddities, and for art's skae. I love Carl Root's beautiful piano
photographs on the ptg website (photography is a subject I have taught in
college).

Back to your bells piano though - do you think it came out the factory like
that, or was later worked on?  I guess probably the former?

Best wishes,

David.

"Have a client with a Shoninger upright #7048 dated 1885 in excellent
condition. Lots of quality work done to it over the years.
It was a gift to a church - they wanted me to fix the middle pedal as they
say it did nothing when depressed.
On closer inspection I found that the middle pedal when engaged, coupled the
action to an additional smaller action mounted under the key bed that spans
two 1/2 octaves up from G5.
This smaller action when engaged is syncronized with the key causing a
wooden hammer like part to strike a small bell, simultaneous with the felt
hammer on string. The bells are very closely tuned to the wire when at pitch
and give a very unique sound - not rinky tink, more like a nicely made chime
or cymbal.
They were amazed at the little treasure that was discovered behind the
bottom board and out of sight.
I have never seen this and am curious if anyone has.
Any information would be appreciated.
Gene Nelson"