Bells in Piano

Philip Jamison mortier9 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 1 14:35:59 MDT 2007

The Schoninger Bell Organ was a fairly successful design in the late 19th
century. I've seen several of these reed organs which have a special stop
which plays a set of nested saucer bells. This firm also made a piano with
the same bells. There seem to be more of the organs surviving, however. In
the 1880s, I believe reed organs outsold pianos. I saw another upright piano
in a Bristol. England auction a few years ago. It had a stop to play a set
of orchestra bells along with the piano strings. Early pianos had all sorts
of off pedal-actuated effects from triangles and drums to organ reeds. One
piano beat the soundboard for a percussive effect. Great for orchestral
transcriptions!

Philip Jamison
West Chester, PA