Do you play piano?

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 2 05:13:35 MDT 2007

Are there techs outside who don´t play piano? If so: how came in your mind
to become a piano tech?

As a rough guess I think here in Germany there might be about 20 percent of
techs who don´t play. Here it is usual to learn a profession by
aprenticeship when you are 16 - 20 years old. To start an aprenticeship
beyond the age of 25 is very uncommon. On the other hand: you don´t have any
possibility to learn that profession lagter by attending commercial classes
because such shools don´t exist. I understand that many people would like to
learn piano tuning/repair, because they play piano and their first career in
another profession was not sucessfull. But it´s hard to understand why
anybody should want to learn that profession without a relation to pianos.
In my class there were some folks who decided for piano tech because the
father aranged the aprenticeship or because the best friend did so, too.

What´s about you?

Gregor