Setting up appointments

Annie Grieshop annie at allthingspiano.com
Sat Jun 2 13:59:49 MDT 2007

That's a really neat idea, John, and I intend to borrow it!  It's useful
information, and it makes the customer an "active partner" in piano
maintenance.  It also puts the technician on a professional level (similar
to doctors) that is familiar to customers.  Good stuff!

I realize that your info card is not meant to uncover all the problems a
piano might have, but I do want to ask the list, in general:  how do you
help your customers communicate better (short of having them in the room,
reproducing the problem)?

In my experience, customers often know that something is wrong but have no
idea how to describe it.  I've had ping-y hammers described as "a clicking
noise", and a console that was in decent tune but had a broken damper rod
hanger refered to as "badly out of tune".  In both cases, the players were
able to pinpoint the problem (when I asked them to demonstrate), but they
had no language for saying what it was.

Thanks,
Annie