techicians or tooners

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 2 15:09:35 MDT 2007

I am certainly limited in my keyboard skills. I have a couple "pay me"
things I play when I'm finished. But I talk a great deal with people who
play, ask them to describe how their action feels to them, tell them I need
to learn to speak a foreign language (as in "the bass is wonkie").  But
after a few thousand tunings on pianos of every ilk, there does come some
understanding of what is going on, and my final judge is the customer.  I
will often ask if such-and-such concerns the owner. If it does, we explore
the issues involved, and what can be done. If it does not, then I say, "if
it doesn't bother you there's nothing to mess with. If it does become of
interest or concern, then we can talk some more about it."   I use the
expertise of excellent pianists in their craft by spending a lot of time
questioning how they define different aspects of touch, responsiveness, how
they feel about their ability to draw music out of the piano.  I am quick to
say they have expertise I don't and I am using them to become more sensitive
to their needs.  I have done action work for a few major players, and have
always gotten highly favorable responses.  I attribute that to never
assuming anything until I have asked a question several different ways, then
mirroring back what I think I have heard, then making very conservative
changes on a few keys, and asking the pianist to play and respond as to
whether changes positively reflect my interpretation of their descriptions.
Thus I can use their knowledge to help me help them.
les bartlett