future technicians

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Jun 3 08:27:05 MDT 2007

Gregg All
  I believe the piano business will always need skilled Piano  technicians.
They may be a rarity & frankly....IMO they are rare in  many places Today.
   Anywhere a quality piano Isn't being thoroughly serviced  there is a
shortage of adequately trained piano technicians.
    David Andersen,myself & others have recently  discussed the evidences of
this condition even into the highest levels of  the recording
industry,symphonies on down to the teacher & home  piano. I see a lot of tune & run but not
much else. Even in our area  it's tough to find any one who can do accurate
Grand  or upright  regulation,voicing, hang a set of hammers etc.My Experience is
that  Real  musicians are craving the skills that set there pianos free.
  Now fortunately,  Dennis Erwin ....Now a Graduate of North  Bennett Street
school(As of 6-1-07) will be picking up the gold off the  ground.  Yes..Not
because he's my Son.... but because HE CAN.! His  training has been amazing and
he has many opportunities as do the other  graduates...his colleagues
  ..And there is still a large market of pianist out there  nationally & even
lowly Modesto is a very pro piano town.   Teachers are busy here HE's trained
   If a young person is going to take up the craft I highly  recommend a
thorough school experience. I'm stunned at the experience gained  ,exposure to SO
many things piano  & level of competence I'm seeing in  him & his classmates.
Most are already, in 9 short months, tuning at  the 90 th percentile & higher.
  They can regulate,trouble shoot,hang hammers.& repair a myriad  of issues.
 In 9 months they had, basically, private  lectures by Don  Mannino,David
Stanwood, Dean Reyburn,Dale Erwin & Each and every North  Bennett St. teacher
....& others.
  At he Graduation ceremonies, None other than David Stanwood,  received the
alumni award for being an industry leader.  Another North  Bennett St. grads
this year were Nate Reyburn Dean Reyburns son.
  A few past Grads include Ed Foote, Sally Phillips(of Bechstein),  David
Betts(current N.B.S.S..instructor) and many others.
  Sorry for the rant. Just pumped up about young blood in  the business.  But
no matter how old the blood is, the passion can remain,  if it's
trained/training & growing.  AS WIllis Snyder once said to me"  AIm for the high end" . I
think the high end is many things but primarily  it's The highest level one
can achieve.
    All who view  this list, whether lurker or  contributor, is an indication
of continuing education.  Bravo  All.
  Two roads diverged in a yellow wood & I stood  ....& pondered Long..... so
I took the one less...... traveled by & that  has made all the difference.
  Kindest regards
  Dale Erwin

Careful  where you steer those younguns. Will
there actually be enough piano  players to need
tuning by the time there looking to establish a  career?

all the best,
Greg Newell