Ebony bridge caps

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jun 3 15:33:49 MDT 2007

> I want to experiment with using ebony bridge caps in the top section of
> the treble in my pianos.
>
> I have taken sample pieces of ebony and attempted to notch them by hand
> with disastrous results. Ebony is so hard and brittle that it wants to
> chip and split, even with the sharpest of chisels and shallow cuts.
> I've approached it from the top down and by coming in from the side.
> The side cutting method works well with Hornbeam, but doesn't seem to do
> well with the harder ebony. Do any of you master woodworkers have any
> suggestions (short of not using ebony 8-)  )?

Have you tried epoxy laminated maple veneer?

> I know that most of the companies who are using ebony caps have machine
> notching devices.  I prefer doing things by hand, especially bridge
> work, because I'm concerned about controlling the accuracy of a router
> type notching machine.  But if anyone has successfully made their own
> "notching machine" and would be willing to share their experiences
> and/or has plans for such a devise, I would welcome any comments or
> advice.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Michael
>
> /                Michael C. Spreeman

Have a look here.
https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/2005-April/171704.html

I've made some modifications to it since then, like a compound
leverage feed handle and double ram table lift for better
clamping hold down, but the basic machine is the same, and
still as ugly.

Ron N