Do you play piano?

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Mon Jun 4 15:25:16 MDT 2007

I do but with my lack of practice I can't plow through an Invention.

But being able to play certainly has it's assets.  After tuning, I'll
'play one of my little things' (as a friend/piano teacher puts it)
and will comment on what I notice with the touch.

Many times, especially with a well known brand, I'll ask,
"Do you like the way it plays, this heavy touch"?  Usually
they'll respond with, "No. but I thought it was supposed to
play like that". Or, "I thought it would loosen up with playing".

I get a lot of jobs that way.  But playing well without diagnostic
ability just makes you another good player.

A good analogy to this was in a cooking program this past weekend.
Jacques Pipan was being interviewed talking about chefs. He considers
himself a good technician where he'll work with efficiency and
forethought. He compared himself to his wife, who also is a good cook.
If they are out dining and she says that she doesn't like the mouse
because it is too buttery tasting; he knows why: the cream was
whipped too long.

Much the same with piano actions. A good pianist can say, "I don't like it
because it's too heavy, or too light, or doesn't respond well."  A tech
who plays well can come up with a few reasons why the piano doesn't
strike a chord.

A pilot doesn't need to know how to repair the engine because
when it konks out, it's too late, no pulling over; but they do have to know
about the mechanical systems and verify their functioning in a pre-flight
inspection. However, I prefer to have my car mechanic to be able to
take it out for a test drive.  Plumbers and electricians have it easy,
all they have to do is turn valves and flick switches.
--

Regards,

Jon Page