Using a jigsaw to cut pin blocks.

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Jun 5 06:43:57 MDT 2007

I've cut a lot of pin blocks out with jigsaws. A big problem is that most
blades have too much flex and the cut angle tends to wander away from where
you want it. I found this particular blade works pretty well:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Power+Tool+Accessories
<http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Power+Tool+Accessories&pid=00
928812000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Blades&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes>
&pid=00928812000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Blades&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

It's true that the finished product does not rival the band saw, but you can
make it work. I like to use epoxy for the final fit to the flange. Do your
dry fit first and drill all the screw holes. Then put wax paper between the
pin block and flange. Use the thick epoxy paste, smear on the flange side of
pin block, screw pin block up to the plate and let it set up.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802