Ebony bridge caps

Michael Spreeman m_spreeman at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 5 09:12:02 MDT 2007

Ron, here is link about boxwood:

http://home.att.net/~ShipModelFAQ/ResaearchNotes/smf-RN-Boxwood.html

Also, someone here in the PHX chapter told me you have a wicked bridge notching machine.  If you have time, I would really value your input about machine notching. Feel free to take the conversation off list if you prefer and contact me at michael at spreemanpianoinnovations.com.  Thanks!

I think you're all right about why the more dense materials were and are used in the high treble.  The more dense the material, generally speaking, the faster the high frequencies will travel through it, minimizing energy loss, and, it has greater mass loading.  I suppose taking this theory to the extreme, we would have steel bridge caps; but a happy middle ground needs to be found for the type of sound you are after.  A very simple experiment is to take several pieces of equally dimensioned hardwoods, place a tuning fork on one end and listen with a mechanics stethoscope at the other end.  Not real scientific, but gives one an idea.  Harold Conklin Jr. performed "real" scientific experiments with this during his years at Baldwin with expensive sound generating gadgets and all of the high tech "listening" and recording gizmos available at the time.   I don't recall if he told me whether any of his findings are published, but I know he has it all documented.

Many manufacturers stopped using boxwood because of cost and availability.  I recently purchased a boxwood log which will net me enough material for about 4 pianos and it was over $200.00, and was the only log I could find.

A downside to solid ebony and solid boxwood caps is cracking.  Laminating either material, or a combination of materials makes sense to help inhibit this.

The next obvious question is , why use wood at all, why not use some razma-tazmy high tech composite material that would never change dimensionally or crack?  Like many of the "new" ideas we get about improvements and brilliant new ideas for changing piano design, there isn't much new under the sun.  The most common scenario for me is get this great new idea, spend lost of time developing and implimenting it, only to find out that it was in a piano built built in 1889.  Many materials, various woods and composites, have been experimented with in regards to boards and bridges.
                Michael C. Spreeman http://www.spreemanpianoinnovations.com