Ebony bridge caps

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jun 7 12:03:38 MDT 2007

> There are a few problems I have with the theory of harder bridge cap
> material influencing the sound as described.

I basically agree. If the maple cap is soft and compliant
enough, or the pin fit is not tight at the top, allowing
deflection with string vibrations, it's absorbing energy. New
maple caps don't typically show these kind of problems, but
I'm told by people who have had access to adequate measuring
means, that laminated and very dense caps are somewhat less
absorptive and lossy, though not necessarily audibly so. Make
the cap less compliant without significantly increasing mass,
and you'll likely find that it is the mass in the exotic wood
capping that's making a difference - assuming there is an
audible difference.

Also, there's a lot of talk about vibration in bridges.
Consider that by the time a string at C-8 goes through the
"pressure" half of it's fundamental cycle, the pressure
impulse imparted to the pin by the string has traveled clear
through the bridge to about 15cm (6") below the soundboard,
and about a Meter along the bridge. Double those distances for
one full fundamental cycle at C-8, and I wonder what
vibrations there might be within the bridge that do anything
at all of any importance that a harder wood cap will
influence.

Ron N