string height

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Fri Jun 8 00:05:47 MDT 2007

In a message dated 6/7/2007 7:01:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Frank writes,
Yamaha:

I cannot imagine the design intent being anything other that equal string
heights at the respective strike points.  Are you sure you were measuring
precisely at the strike point?
I don't know Yamahas that well, but every Steinway I have measured (hundreds)
exhibits this. Typically, taking three measurements in the tenor, two in
alto, two in treble, string heights on all models except the D would measure:
192mm-193-192 | 192-191 | 190-189
or something like it. I've seen as high as 193-194-193 sloping to as low as
188. I'd suspect undesirable plate warp, especially since the plate webbing
usually somewhat mirrors this; but what do I know - I'm sure it's a Feature. Saw
the tops off the treble hammers.

Bob D