Ibach bridge

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Fri Jun 8 00:48:05 MDT 2007

On Jun 7, 2007, at 23:11, Bob Hull wrote:

> Today I tuned a 1976 (approx) Rud Ibach grand,
> (Richard Strauss model)  about 6' 11".   It was last
> tuned in January.  ......
I am no expert on Ibach specifically, but I think some of your
observations are actually standard features of this piano, and typical
of many other German instruments.

> It appeared to have two types of horizontally
> laminated wood for its bridge material.  The lower or
> "root" portion was a darker color than the upper.
>
> It looked pretty similar to delignit.  Does anyone
> know what wood Ibach was using then for bridges? Is
> Ibach the one that was using brass bridge pins?

Many German brands used brass bridge pins in the past.  Did this
piano's pins look like brass? It is quite obvious to see.

> The tone color was pleasant but sustain was quite poor
> in the upper 1/3 of the scale - worn, rather fuzzy
> hammers which were overstriking.

Many German grands were designed with overstriking hammers.

> Soundboard was very fine close grain. Not one false or single string
> beat.
>  It had been repaired with visible screws down into
> the ribs - isn't this more common in Europe to not
> hide the repair with dowels?

Are you sure it was repaired? European pianos often have soundboard
screws.

> No front or rear duplex.   My camera battery died so
> no photo.  Interesting plate elevation in agraffe
> area.
Ibach is a very old company (1794).  They made some interesting pianos
in the past, for example they built double overstrung grands and
uprights.  The bass bi-chords cross over the tenor strings as usual,
but the mono-chords cross over the bi-chords, I suppose in an effort to
accommodate longer string lengths.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440