Dead keys, noisy hammers

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Jun 8 11:21:56 MDT 2007

Probably worth replacing all the springs, if several too weak.

But have you also checked the stiffness of the jack centres?  Since the piano has been sitting unplayed for 30 years, the centres may well be very stiff.  Protek centre pin lubricant may help, or just working the jacks with your fingers, plus if the piano has been moved into a different room and is now being played, it may ease off.

The rattling noise might come from loose hammer flanges.  They can work loose just with cyclical expansion and contraction over 30 years' worth of seasonal changes.  It's always worth tightening all flange screws when you have the action out, if the piano hasn't had any attention for a long time.  The flanges can "slap" microscopically against the rail, when some of the energy travels back down the shank as the hammer rebounds off the string.  It can be surprising, the difference in the feel of the action, too, when you tighten the flange screws.  Another thing to check, for noise, is whether the hamer heads are loose.  That tends to produce a small 'clicking' noise.

There are various other possibilities also for rattling noises!

Best wishes,

David.