Sanderson Accu-tuner

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 07:11:17 MDT 2007

With respect to volume...

We all should learn to tune softly, even with an ETD. It helps our
useful shelf life anyway. If we would tune softly, playing an octave
should not be a volume problem at all. (At least for most of us. It
might be different for you.)

I've measured my regular tuning volume level with a decibel meter.
This is not the softest I can tune, but it helps with stability. It's
around 78-80 dB at a peak level. I can tune quieter than that, but I
use my custom-molded musicians earplugs. Hearing loss from tuning
shouldn't be a problem.

You still hear those sweet spots at lower volume levels. In fact, for
me, those sweet spots are perceived even better at softer levels.

ETDs are great for consistency. They can do very well at pitch raises,
and also with repeat tuning work, as Ed Foote mentioned.

One thing I have considered doing is getting my old SAT II repaired
and storing my best aural tunings for some regular pianos. I see great
value in that. If you had your best work stored for different models -
Ds, Yamaha C3s, etc. - you could really save some time.

JF