Ebony bridge caps

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 11 06:37:40 MDT 2007

Michael, Ron, etal,

I've been following this thread with interest, and thinking about some of the
concepts.

One piece of the explanations for the observed effect of the multi-species
laminations doesn't make sense to me, and I wanted to run it by you all.

Regarding Michael's experiment, ie, three identical pianos with three different
bridges, 1-solid maple,2-maple with mahogany laminations, and 3-maple with
mahogany and ebony laminations...

The explanations for the observed effects all seem to point to the effect of
increased density/mass.

Here's my question. In the 2nd piano example, maple and mahogany laminations:
since the specific gravity of mahogany (swietenia macrophylla= .51) is actually
less than that of maple (.63), this bridge is actually less dense than the stand
alone maple,  assuming absolute density is what we are looking at.

To my mind, this doesn't jive with the straight-up absolute density
explanations...unless... the effect of increased density occurs as much from the
layers of non-uniform densities introduced by layering different species (with
differing densities), as from the
actual absolute densities of the woods.

Does this make any sense?

Jim I