Client Care and Spinnet Dampers: HELP!

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Wed Jun 13 06:28:33 MDT 2007

>>I try to delicately approach the issue, essentially inquiring "are you
sure this echo wasn't there before"...

This right here is the problem. If you approach the issue "delicately" you
are no longer in control, you are communicating uncertainty to the customer.
You are in effect telling them that you have some doubt that perhaps you
actually did cause the problem.

You maybe could have headed the problem off a little better on the first
visit- which you sort of did. Perhaps you could have been a little more
assertive in telling her that the mechanism is adjusted where it should be
but there is still bleed through. You did good pointing out the old, hard
damper felt. But the next words out should have been, "if there is still a
problem the next logical step is to replace these very old damper felts. And
that still is not 100% guarantee that it will all go away, it will just make
it better. It is sometimes impossible to completely eliminate those
overtones on a spinet piano. This piano is 40 years old with original parts.
I told you I would try to minimize it. I have exhausted every trick in the
book to rejuvenate old felt. I have given you $120 now of free labor now to
try to resuscitate the old girl and that is as much free time as I can give
you on this piano. I have even consulted with other top piano techs from
around the world in our online discussion forum and they concur: there is
more that I can do, but it is going to involve replacing these old felts."

Sometimes when the felt is hard like that you can actually hear it buzz
against the string when you let the note up. This is a good test to show the
customer how hard the felt actually is. Explain how it is supposed to be
nice and soft to mute the string, but it is so hard it actually introduces
more noise.

If you are intent on replacing the felt the problem is most likely coming
from the singles only. Even when they are hard the bicords usually do a
pretty effective job of dampening.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272