Square Core Wire

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Jun 14 07:02:06 MDT 2007

At 10:19 pm -0700 13/6/07, David Love wrote:

>Which manufacturer of piano wire for bass strings produces square core wire?

None that I've heard of.

>How is it measured and how does it compare with round core wire?

A square of side x is equivalent to a circle of x * 1.273

The reciprocal is 0.785

>I have a couple of strings to replace on a Schimmel (monochords) and I'm
>wondering how to calculate like replacement strings using round core wire.

Hexagonal wire, I presume.  Measure across the flats, square the
result, multiply that by 1.103 and take the square root of the
product.

     =SQRT(1.103*(hexaf^2))

so if the hexagonal wire measures 0.9 mm across flats you will need a
round wire of diameter 0.945 mm. or mwg 16-1/2 to get the equivalent
volume or mass.

JD