Two rebuilding questions

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Jun 15 14:13:44 MDT 2007

Bent side is just held down tightly by a molding, along with the non
floating half of the tail. Molding was just nailed to the rim through
the soundboard edge. It doesn't clatter of course or they wouldn't have
done this at all. These are old early grands you see this on.  Floating
parts of the bass area are more common and some designers use this
concept today.

The soundboard is attached quite solidly to the rim this way... but my
question is just how solidly... compared to glue ?  The thought dawned
on me this might have been an early attempt to allow the panel to stay
more stable against the strings with respect to climate changes.... if
the thought was that the panel tries to rise and fall with climate
changes... this might allow for the panel to simply move out
<<sideways>> along (behind) the bridge lengths instead of trying to push
upwards.... but thats just musing.

Cheers
RicB

        very interesting. I never heard of such a design. No idea what
        the original
        idea was, but I argue that design could produce *clattering*
        sounds. I am
        not shure if I figure out that correctly: are you talking about
        wood on wood
        without glue or any other intermediate layer?

        Gregor