Keep on filing...burnish?

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Jun 21 15:23:11 MDT 2007

At 2:55 pm +0200 21/6/07, Danilo Perusina wrote:

>Would you be so kind as to explain to a foreigner the exact meaning
>of burnish, as applied to graphite and the wooden parts we are
>talking about? Online dictionaries translate it as polish.

Polishing is generally done with something like a rag and will make a
surface shiny without necessarily leaving it flat.  Burnishing is
done with a very smooth hard object using some pressure.  For example
when I recondition the surface of a jack that has lost its blacklead
and become rough, I first make it smooth and clean with P1200 paper.
Next I apply the blacklead with a piece of check-felt.  When the
surface is dry and hard I then hold the jack tight between thumb and
forefinger and rub across it with a highly polished steel needle, say
2mm in diameter, to leave a highly polished surface.  A 4B - 6B
pencil is also quite useful for maintenance work.

If a blackleaded surface is not burnished it will be far less
effective and prone to wear.

JD