Keep on filing...

Scott Nelson pianotuner9932 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 22 06:56:27 MDT 2007

Hi everyone,

  The Spurlock tool for let-off is terrific for checking your consistency from note to note, but normally there is a drawback to its use. Because of the varying string height levels, there is often a considerable discontinuity between sections (such as between notes 26 and 27 at the break) . The Spurlock tool will align all the shanks in a straight but often sloped line(depending on the relative heights of the shanks) between the end points of each section.

  If the hammer bore compensates for the varying string height across the piano, all the shanks can be level (identical rotation) and the distance of the hammer from the string
can be the same. Unfortunately, most manufacturers instruments are bored with only 2 specs: bass and treble, so under these circumstances it is necessary either to have the shanks not level, or to set them level and vary the distance of the hammers from the string during let-off.

  I have been experimenting with a full-length jig across all 88 shanks that is based on the Spurlock jig. I set the let-off as close as is practical to the lowest 2 strings (that is, in height) and then adjust the jig to where it just clicks as the jack brushes the knuckle. The other shanks are then set to where they just click as well, a la Spurlock. It is amazing how consistent you can set the escapement-almost imperceptible movements of the let-off dowel will change the clicking quite visibly and audibly.

  This procedure, of course, leaves the letoff distance from the string rather far on many notes where the string height is higher than the samples. ( I also set the "hammer blow distance "
  to vary as well so the start point is level, again, the hammer shanks ). I suppose the question is, barring a compensated hammer boring, whether this procedure will result in a more consistent touch, especially at pianissimo, although you are giving up the idea of " the
  hammer as close to the string as possible" idea.

  It is interesting also to observe what happens if you if you first set the let-off so the hammer is an equal distance from each string as well as the blow distance. When you then check with the jig, you will clearly see that your letoff and blow distance lines follow the string height variances.

  Incidentally, if you set your blow distance samples and then use the stretcher or a straightedge to set the rest, following which you were to set the let-off an equal distance from the strings, your aftertouch would vary unless the string heights were all equal, and you would have to compromise key dip and/or height to make it consistent. This is the main reason I have been trying this method lately. It is hard to judge whether or not this way is more consistent, but so far the comments about the piannissimo touch have been very positive.

  I would be interested in any of your comments regarding this matter.

  Thanks,

  Scott Nelson, RPT
Dean May <deanmay at pianorebuilders.com> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                I would also heartily recommend you purchase this tool from Spurlock: http://www.spurlocktools.com/id24.htm

  I love it.

  Stop relying on your eyesight to set all let-offs and drops. Just set each section end hammer in the piano.

  To set the let off on the section ends I use a mute wire with a 90 degree bend about 3/8 in from the end. The wire is slightly more than 1 mm thick. If the wire is too thin, flatten it with a hammer to make it as thick as you want the let off.  Hold the bent end under the strike point of the strings and bring the hammer up to the wire. Raise the let off button until the hammer touches your wire right at the let off point.

  Then pull action, set it on the table, and use this tool to perfectly set the rest. The instructions say to use it to set the let off. I also use it for the drop. After setting the let off, just turn the drop screw up while holding the key down. When the hammer comes off the rail turn the screw down just a little past the hammer coming back onto the rail. Like Andrew, I like the drop right at the let off.

  Did I mention that I love the Spurlock tool (as with every Spurlock tool I’ve purchased)?
    Dean
  Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
  PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
  Terre Haute IN  47802